Tuesday 19 April 2016

Chronic Pain and Parenting

Parenting can be a hard slog at the best of times. Kids can be very demanding. When you have little people running around needing your attention and you have pain, let’s face it, it is damn hard work!

 So I wanted to share a few tips for parenting and living with pain.
Get them involved. Growing up, I had chores to do (although, being the youngest of 5, I was very good at squirming my way out of them!). With such a big family, we all needed to pull our weight and learn how to be self-reliant. I want my kids to grow up learning these skills too. Getting young children involved in basic housework will mean less work for you in the long term. However, sometimes their involvement does come with strings attached. Recently, I have started bargaining my kids for their efforts. If they are getting set to watch some television, I might say “how about we spend 10 minutes cleaning your room before we put on that show?” Other people I know will use pocket money as an extra motivator. Mostly, it goes down well and they get stuck into it – and if it means 10 minutes less work for you later on – surely that’s worth the effort! Here is a list of age-appropriate jobs to give you some place to start...

 
Practice self care. My kids now understand when I need “time to self”. They are getting to a good age for being able to entertain themselves while I undertake a necessary self care task whether it be a meditation, stretching or a walk/exercise outside. I have said to them to not disturb me unless it’s an emergency – like blood or fire. One day recently my eldest tentatively knocked on my door while I was meditating to let me know of the “emergency” – the TV remote had run out of batteries! However, by demonstrating that I need to look after myself, I am also setting a good example for them to follow into their adulthood because, pain or no pain, taking time to look after yourself is always time well spent. There is also the old adage that a healthy mum has healthy kids. If I don’t look after myself (and for me this means attending to my pain self management techniques), I will become an irritable parent with a pain flare and that won’t be much fun for anyone! There is also a reason they say on a plane that you need to attach your oxygen mask before attending to others!

Image taken from http://thegate.boardingarea.com/safety-video-children-delighted-to-see-oxygen-masks-drop/
Replace guilt with gratitude. Before I started learning to manage my pain, my default solution to pain was to rest. Still today, if I am having a particularly hard pain day, I will be gentle on myself and allow myself to “take it easy”. Previously, I would stress myself further during this (already) difficult time by piling on the mummy guilt. Berating myself that “I should be playing with the kids” or “I should be doing some housework”. I felt bad that I couldn’t give them some fun experience because I needed to rest. Enter guilt and negative self talk. So to flip the perspective, now I try to focus on gratitude. I am grateful for the opportunity to snuggle with my children. I am grateful to spend some quiet time with them reading. Rather than feel guilty for not doing something, I am grateful for and enjoy what I am doing, right in the moment. But I will admit this is still an area of struggle for me. There will be days when I feel I am a “bad mother” – I think this is hardwired the day we give birth. It’s a good chance to look at the big picture. Overall, I think I do a good job. Some days, we will have a blip in the system but that’s manageable.  Kids are pretty resilient, they will survive just as we do!
 

Mindfulness. Chronic pain or not, kids provide an excellent opportunity for mindfulness practice. They are almost always in the moment. They unashamedly believe the world revolves around them. So for every activity they undertaken they become absorbed. There is little room in their developing brains for worry, rehashing past mistakes, stress etc. It is all about the here and now. So parenting can help to bring us into this same mindset. A friend once suggested to me that each child should get 30 minutes of focused attention from you a day. Initially I thought – that’s easy. But focused attention, at the level of a small child, is hard for our fast paced brains. To sit and play and be totally mindful of the process is actually pretty hard. But the more we do this kind of thing, the strong our attention becomes. Here is a good book all about this topic....

 

Teachable moments.  Parenting is a big responsibility. This little malleable mind is all yours to mould! I believe I am setting an example to my children by showing them, everyday, that for me to be healthy, I need to invest time and effort. Living well while self managing chronic pain takes strength and discipline. I am modelling to them that I take control of my health. This is a lesson I want them to know. In the future, if they face health challenges, I want them to know that they have the ability to get through it. But at the same time, I want my kids to know that life can sometimes be hard. Everything is not always rosey. They know I have a bad back and I want them to be aware that people struggle with stuff, no one is perfect. So, I am hoping they learn a little empathy along the way too.
I would love to hear your experiences. Do you have any good tips for other parents? Please share or comment below. And one last thing, hug those kids of yours, they are so precious. Time goes pretty fast, so enjoy every moment. If we are honest, they send us crazy most of the time, but we wouldn’t change them for the world. It's worth it for the smiles, the cuddles and the notes like this.....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment